The school had its origins in a mission building erected in 1868 in John Street, Fulham New Town, in the new parish of St Andrew, Fulham Fields. A mission room and school in John Street were listed in the rate book of October 1869 (ref: PAF/1/183 p13) and the 1871 census recorded a schoolmistress and her assistant at St Andrew's Mission School, John Street (ref: RG10/68 f11v).
In 1870 the parish moved its mission to a larger temporary iron building in May Street but the school remained in John Street, where the accommodation consisted of one large room and three small classrooms. (See index page D in DD/1012/1 for dimensions).
The School Board for London took over the school from the former managers in January 1876. The head teacher recorded 106 pupils on the first day rising to a full school of 158 by 10 April 1856. The inspector's report in September that year stated that "new and permanent buildings are quite necessary. The present have served their purpose" (ref: DD/1012/1 p24). John Street Temporary School closed on 18 December 1879 and the new Star Lane Board School opened in purpose built premises on the junction of Star and Greyhound Roads on 5 January 1880. |